When Summer Olympics 2021 begin?
The Summer Olympics 2021 will commence in Tokyo on Sunday the 23th July, 2021.
This is the official stating date with the hotly anticipated inauguration ceremony taking place in the evening in Tokyo’s amazing new Olympic stadium, known as the New National Stadium. The opening ceremony’s artistic director Mansai Nomura, is well known for traditional Japanese theater and is working on the ceremony alongside Marco Balich, a leading global events expert.
Sporting events will precede the 24th as scheduling for almost 350 individual events will be tight. Softball and Women’s Football are going to commence 2 days before the official start, so it is well worth keeping an eye on the schedule for any last minute changes. Day one will open with medal activity in the women’s 10m air rifle medal event. Keep abreast of all news and timings on the official Summer Olympics 2021 website: tokyo2020.org
Where are the Summer Olympics 2021 being held?
The Summer Olympics 2021 will be centered on the Japanese capital of Tokyo, but the action is not limited only to the city. These Olympics have been embraced as an opportunity to see the wider country of Japan.
In Tokyo, urban activity is divided between the Heritage Zone (which gives a nod to the sights and landmarks of Tokyo’s previous 1964 Olympics), and the new exciting Tokyo Bay Zone, that showcases the innovative new architecture and environment.
The athletes’ Olympic village is set at the intersection of the two zones and offers participants the very best of the city and celebratory atmosphere. The overall theme of the Summer Olympics 2021 is ‘infinite excitement’ and will play out across Japan with over 40 venues playing host to the sporting competitions and tournaments. Key venues include:
- The Olympic Stadium, which will be the setting for the opening and closing ceremonies and athletics.
- Ariake Tennis Park for tennis.
- Shiokaze Park plays host to beach volleyball.
- Ariake Gymnastics Centre hosts the gymnastics.
- Saitama Super Arena is where the basketball tournament will be held.
- Odaiba Marine Park will be where swimming, diving and triathlon will be held.
- 3×3 basketball and sport climbing will take place at the Aomi Urban Sports Park.
- Tokyo Stadium is the venue for rugby, football and pentathlon.
- Yokohama Baseball Stadium hosts baseball.
- The Equestrian Park hosts showjumping, dressage and eventing.
- Izu Velodrome for cycling and Izu MTB Course for mountain biking.
- Sapporo Dome for football.
- Asaka Shooting Range for Olympic shooting.
- Sailing in the Enoshima Yacht Harbor.
- Kasumigaseki Country Club hosts golf.
- Tsurigasaki Surfing Beach will hold the surfing contests.
- Makuhari Messe Hall B which will be the setting for the fencing tournaments.
- Fuji International Speedway for road race cycling.